Thursday, October 24, 2013

Paying through the nose for a good reason

Yesterday it was exactly three weeks until my surgery date.  How am I feeling?  Excited, apprehensive, amazed that the time has gone so quickly and (just a tiny little bit) scared.

It all became real yes for me when I paid for the gap payment to the surgeon and completed my pre-admissions form online.  I was lucky enough that I was approved to access my super early, under compassionate grounds.  For those thinking about the gastric sleeve, or something similar, it is not cheap, nor is it covered under Australian Medicare.  If you don't have private health, you are looking at upwards of $11,000, and with private health the gap payment is around $5000 or more.  Accessing your super is not excessively difficult, but it is a time consuming process.  For more information, I have included the link to the DHS website here

So next week on Wednesday will be my pre operative appointment, along with my initial psychologist and dietician appointment.  I am apprehensive about the psychologist appointment, mainly because I don't usually talk about or admit my failings (and my weight is my biggest failing).  The dietician is not going to be a surprise.  I know that I will need to do 2 weeks of Optifast preoperatively and following the surgery I will likely be liquid only for up to 2 weeks, followed by mushies for a further 2 weeks. 

The 3 week countdown is on, and I can not wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment